In May 2018, the Commission proposed a series of regulations for the Union's cohesion policy for the new period 2021-2027. One of the main objectives of this reform is to simplify procedures and increase the efficiency of the Union's investments. Thus, the 11 thematic objectives used in the 2014-2020 cohesion policy are replaced by 5 Political Objectives for the ERDF, the ESF+, the Cohesion Fund and the EMFF. These political objectives advocate a EUROPE MORE
- intelligent: innovative and intelligent economic transformation, through innovation, digitization, economic transformation and support for small and medium-sized enterprises
- green and low carbon; apply the Paris Agreement and invest in energy transition, renewable energy and the fight against climate change;
- connected: mobility and regional connectivity in the field of ICT;
- more social: implementation of the European pillar of social rights; and that supports quality employment, education, educational and professional skills, social inclusion and equal access to healthcare
- close to its citizens: sustainable and integrated development of urban, rural and coastal areas through local initiatives. that supports locally managed growth strategies and that contributes to sustainable urban development throughout the U
During this new period, the Commission establishes for each Political Objective some preconditions for its execution, called "enabling or favorable conditions” (CH), which come to give continuity to the “Ex Ante Conditions” of the 2014-2020 period, with two fundamental changes:
- They are required throughout the entire period 2021-2027 (and not only at the beginning of the period, coinciding with the remission of the operative programs).
- Its compliance will be verified by the Member State (and not the European Commission, although it will rule on the opinion of the Member State).
The evaluation of each CH is established based on a set of objective criteria, being considered fulfilled when all of them are met. Otherwise, the Commission will not make the reimbursements associated with the Specific Objectives linked to these enabling conditions.
La I + D + i is within Political Objective 1: "A more intelligent Europe, promoting an innovative and intelligent economic transformation", being the enabling condition for this Political Objective 1, a "Good governance of the national or regional strategy of intelligent specialization" that translates into compliance with 7 criteria:
Policy Objective 1 and Enabling Condition
|POLICY OBJECTIVE 1. A smarter Europe, promoting an innovative and intelligent economic transformation
- ENABLING CONDITION: Good governance of the national or regional smart specialization strategy
|The updated analysis of bottlenecks for the diffusion of innovation, including digitization
|The existence of a competent national or regional institution or body, in charge of the smart specialization strategy
|Monitoring and evaluation instruments to measure the results with respect to the objectives of the strategy
|Efficient operation of the business opportunity discovery process (EDP)
|Actions needed to improve regional or national research and innovation systems
|Actions to manage the industrial transition
|Measures for international collaboration
The S3, therefore, is key to comply with the favorable condition 1.1 required by the European Commission in order to have access to FEDER funds, of the new program 2021-2027, in terms of R+D+I. Based on a participatory governance model, both for updating opportunities, the design of instruments, their follow-up, evaluation, etc., it constitutes the main reference document for the regions in terms of R+D+I with all that it entails. implies (diffusion of the regional ecosystem and its agents and capacities, etc.)
On the other hand, the R+D+I within the Community of Madrid (CM) is distributed in different Ministries, being the role of the S3, the integration of the different initiatives in a single framework for the region, putting coherence between them, coordinating actions, setting guidelines, leading and managing the R+D+I policies of the different Ministries in a single strategy: S3.