The Community of Madrid is home to 6 public universities, 8 private universities, and the headquarters of the National Distance Education University (UNED); Likewise, in Madrid there are 15 higher artistic education centers, 6 public and 9 private authorized, which represents the highest concentration of students in Spain and one of the largest in Europe.
In total, more than 300.000 students are receiving education in these institutions. To this enormous dimension of university education in Madrid contributes the important contingent of students from other regions of the State and from very diverse foreign countries, mainly Latin American and European.
The number of students enrolled in the region, in the course 2018 – 2019, Has been of:
- 196.400 in the centers of public universities
- 15.920 in the centers attached to public universities
- 65.045 in private universities and the Catholic Church
- 6.663 at the Distance University of Madrid (UDIMA)
- 33.549 in the associated centers of Madrid and Madrid-Sur of the UNED
En total, they are receiving education in these institutions 317.577 students.
In addition, Spain is, since 2001, the first destination chosen by Erasmus students and its capital, Madrid, the preferred city in Spain.
The reasons for this influx are three-fold:
- Academic: based on the broad and diversified range of degrees available, many of which are taught in other languages, mainly English, and due to our reputable universities.
- Positive socioeconomic environment: since the Community of Madrid is a region with great dynamism capable of providing young students with great employment prospects and professional development.
- Of a cultural and leisure nature. Its recognized condition of open city, meeting place and great space for coexistence make Madrid an ideal place for students.
Main data of the university system of the Community of Madrid in 2019:
- 317.577 students in Madrid universities
- 230 undergraduate degrees
- 109 double degree degrees
- 70 degrees in English
- 831 official master's degrees
- 4.396 awarded doctoral theses (2017)
- 22.534 foreign students (of degree, 1er and 2º cycle), 11.405 (of official master) in Madrid's universities (2017)