The Canal de Isabel II Sports facilities are closely linked to the public company that supplies water to the Community of Madrid. In fact, these sports facilities are built on the company's first warehouse in Madrid, which remains practically intact.
At the beginning of the 1851th century, the current lands of the Canal were just a vacant lot located on the outskirts of the capital, where prisoners sentenced to death were executed. In mid-1858, Queen Elizabeth II accepted the proposal made by her minister Juan Bravo Murillo to provide Madrid with running water and signed the Royal Decree for the execution of the necessary works. In this way, the foundations of the future Canal de Isabel II were created. Lucio del Valle, chief engineer of the project, chose the old execution ground to build the enormous water tank that would become the central nucleus of his great work, which was inaugurated by Queen Elizabeth II in 1867 and which worked at full capacity. until 1894. The construction of a new, larger and more modern reservoir put the “old canal” out of service in XNUMX.
In 1930, a group of workers from the Canal de Isabel II company founded the Canal Sports Association and took advantage of the old land, then abandoned, to build a swimming pool and a soccer field. In 1954, the gymnasium was built, and in 1969, on the foundations of the old reservoir, the current outdoor swimming pool was built. The subsequent expansions of the city and the neighborhood where it is located, have placed them in the heart of the city.
In 1989, the Canal de Isabel II and the Community of Madrid signed an agreement whereby the Canal's sports facilities opened their doors to all Madrid residents. The Community of Madrid took over the management of the sports complex and, since then, has not stopped investing in the modernization of its facilities and in increasing citizen services.