Energy Plan of the Community of Madrid Horizonte 2020
Energy is an essential good for socio-economic development and for personal and collective well-being, which requires the attention of Public Administrations. The Government of the Community of Madrid, faithful to its commitments, has drawn up this Energy Plan, whose horizon is set in 2020 and which constitutes the instrument of its energy strategy.
The Energy Plan of the Community of Madrid Horizonte 2020 has the following general objectives, which are coherent with those established in national and European energy planning:
- Satisfaction of energy demand with high levels of security and quality of supply, reinforcing existing infrastructure;
- Improvement of the efficiency in the use of the energy, that allows to reduce the consumption in a 10% with respect to the tendency scenario;
- Increase of 35% in the production of renewable energy and above 25% in total energy production.
The Plan presents three strategic lines:
- Improved efficiency in the use of energy, so that consuming less reach the same levels of production and comfort.
- Increase in energy production in the region, mainly from renewable sources.
- Improvement of energy infrastructures, in order to guarantee a reliable, safe and quality supply.
Energy production in the region amounts to 179.000 equivalent tons of oil, which represents only 2% of the total energy consumed, and 4% if cogeneration is included.
The objectives of the Energy Plan of the Madrid-Horizonte 2020 Community are the following:
- Satisfaction of energy demand with high levels of security and quality of supply, reinforcing existing infrastructure.
- Improvement in the efficiency of energy consumption, with reductions between 1,5% and 2% annual of the final energy intensity, which will represent, in the 2015-2020 period, a decrease of around 10% of consumption with respect to the trend scenario.
- Increase of 35% in the production of renewable energy in the 2015-2020 period and above the 25% in the total energy production.
To monitor the development of the Plan, two indicators will be used:
- The number of measures developed, on the total of 80 measures contemplated in the Plan.
- The evolution of energy intensity, ratio that represents the quotient between Gross Domestic Product and energy consumption. Indicates, therefore, the amount of energy needed to generate each unit of GDP.